Why is Allergy Testing important?
When an allergy is suspected, only an allergy test can identify what you are allergic to & what causes your symptoms. Allergy skin testing helps to identify the specific allergens that are triggering your reaction, and allows your physician to diagnose and treat your allergy problem.
Allergy skin testing is performed by applying several different allergens to the skin of your forearm with a skin based applicator and under the skin using a very small injection device that is relatively pain free (the pain is compared to a tight pinch). If there is sensitivity to a particular allergen, a welt will appear at the testing site. For patients who cannot undergo skin testing for some reason, we also offer in vitro allergy testing (blood test).
At Broward Sinus Doctors we currently do the following:
- Penicillin Allergy Testing
- Allergy Testing
- SLIT Testing
Allergic Testing & Seeking the care with an Otolaryngic Allergist
An Otolaryngic Allergist is able to diagnose and treat disorders of the upper respiratory tract (Ear, nose, throat) caused by allergic conditions. Because the otolaryngic allergist is an ear, nose, and throat specialist, other non-allergic diseases of the upper respiratory tract can also be efficiently diagnosed and treated. To diagnose and treat your allergies, the otolaryngic allergist uses methods that have been shown to identify allergens, and to achieve effective control of allergies quickly.
What are Allergies?
Allergies are a condition, often inherited in which the immune system of the affected person reacts to something that is either eaten, touched, or inhaled which does not affect most other people. The patient’s immune system reacts to this substance as if it were an “enemy invader” (like a virus). This reaction leads to symptoms that often adversely affect the patients work, play, rest, and overall quality of life.
How Common are Allergies?
- Allergies are among the nations most common and costly health problems
- They affect as many as one if four people
- More than 50 Million Americans have allergic rhinitis
- The yearly sales of antihistamines, decongestants, nasal cromolyn and nasal corticosteroids now exceeds $5 billion
Year Round Allergies
- Pet Dander
- Dust Mites
Cold Vs Allergies
- Medical Treatment
- Subcutaneous Immunotherapy (Allergy Shots)
- Sublingual Immunotherapy (Allergy Drops)
- Skin Test – Gently scratching the surface of the skin a few times looking for reactions
- Blood Test – Blood Drawn used to test for allergies
Shots (Subcutaneous Immunotherapy) Vs Drops (Sublingual Immunotherapy)
Think you’re Allergic to penicillin?
Have you been tested? There is a chance you may not be allergic. Approximately 80% of patients with penicillin allergies lose their sensitivity after 10 years!
- Did you know that less than 1% of the population is allergic to penicillin?
- Understanding whether or not you are really allergic to penicillin is important for your health both now and in the future
How can Penicillin Allergy Testing Help you?
- Penicillin is less expensive than other drugs
- Penicillin may also be available at no cost at your local pharmacy
- Increased Risk of Antibiotic Resistance
- Suboptimal antibiotic therapy
- Higher healthcare costs
- Duration of Therapy 3-5 Years
- Mechanism of Action: Stimulate the Immune System Production of Specific Immunoglobulin Antibody Defense Mechanisms
- Indications: Adult & Children with Specific Environmental Allergen Sensitivities who are unable to control their symptoms with medicines and avoidance
Regardless of which method you choose, immunotherapy provides the most natural and effective treatment for allergies & is the ONLY therapy that provides a chance of a cure!
- Scratch Test – Gently scratching the surface of the skin a few times looking for reactions
- Intradermal Test – A few small injections under the surface of the skin looking for reactions
- Your doctor may give you an oral challenge; it involves being given a penicillin Tablet while under observation for 60 minutes
- If results are negative a Certificate will be issued for your records